I had an epiphany the other day. You know how some people stress eat? I stress bake. It could be worse, but it does result in an excess of baked goods around the house…
Peanut Surprise Muffins. I do have to admit I cheated here. There’s sugar in the muffin *gasps of shock and horror surround my kitchen*
I know, I know. But we’re allowed occasional indulgences, right? If I’d made the muffin mix from scratch it would have been properly paleo. But we had a mix and sometimes it’s just easier, you know?
Seriously though, if you want a good gluten, dairy free mix the one above is really nice. Makes a thick batter and I added almost an extra 1/2 cup of water, but still gorgeous.
Not wanting to be one to encourage box mixes, feel free to make your own plain/vanilla muffin mix. Chocolate would also be quite nice.
– Whatever you’re using to make the muffins.
– About 4 tablespoons peanut butter (preferably just peanuts, not oil and sugar and salt.. ugh)
– 3 tsp stevia (or other sweetener
– 1/2 tsp vanilla essense
– 2 tablespoons oil (peanut, coconut – whatever you have)
– 1 tablespoon Nuttelex (or similar)
– Approx. 1 square gluten, dairy and sugar free chocolate (I use …well, naturally’s sugar free dark chocolate)
– Make the muffin mix according to your recipe. Preheat oven as called for (standard for muffins is 180)
– Line the muffin tins with cases (How adorable are the ones I used? They’re from Mixe)
– Put 1 tablespoon of batter in each case
– Combine all other ingredients, excepting chocolate
– Put 1 tsp peanut mix on top of the batter
– Top peanut butter with another tablespoon of batter
– Grate some chocolate over the top and bake according to recipe
Easy, but kind of incredibly delicious.